All you have to do is photosympathise with them and these breathtaking green beauties will make you fall in love with its innate cleansing qualities. If you, my dear readers get that we are talking about blissful air-purifying plants, then give yourself a pat on the back. It is said that plants are human’s best friend and air-purifying plants quite prove this fact to be true. As every human being has the right to breathe clean air, these plants work even better than artificial air-purifiers in blessing you with its goodness. So invest in an air-purifying plant which is inexpensive as compared to artificial air purifiers and jazz up your home along with cleaning the toxins from the air simultaneously.
Now, if we discuss what are these plant species which blesses us with a win-win situation, then they would be every such plant which releases oxygen in return of carbon dioxide. Money plants, areca palm, spider plants, snake plant, and aloe vera are some of the popular ones. And each of these is responsible for purifying different toxic chemical elements from objects and to materials like carpets, glues, ovens, cleaning solutions, and synthetic materials such as plastic, fibre, and rubber. Some of these are as follows:
- Areca Palm – Removes dangerous chemicals such as formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene.
- Money Plant – Removes benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene.
- Spider Plant – Removes carbon monoxide and xylene, a solvent used in the printing and rubber industries.
- Snake Plant – Removes benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, xylene, and toluene.
- Aloe Vera – Removes formaldehyde and benzene, found in varnishes, floor finishes, and detergents.
Due to infrastructural developments happening, every now and then, such plants are needed to increase the quality of life and for sustainability. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) claimed that these plants are even therapeutic in its nature. As in, other than having cleansing properties, these tend to increase mood and productivity, enhance concentration and memory and reduce stress and fatigue. That is why these plants are quite a common sight at a reputed hospital or even at some workplace. As per NASA recommendation, everyone must plant 8 to 10-inch pots for every 100 square feet to get their dose of fresh air.
Most of these air-purifying plant species are easy to take care of and can also become a beautiful versatile decor piece. You just need to keep the following points in mind, while nurturing one.
- Don’t overwater these plants, but keep their soil damp.
- Fertilise them once a month to show some extra care like misting or repotting.
- These plants love sunlight, so place it in a spot near a sunkissed window to avoid direct sunlight but still bestow them with indirect light.
- Repot it in a clay pot and use organic soil.
Et Voila! You and your plant will start to get along quite great. And in no time, you will be known for your green thumb. Co-exist with them under the same roof and we know you will end up saying – “Aloe You Vera Much!”
Happy Gardening to all! 🙂