Our Best Selling Heat Pump Thermostats
Heating and cooling systems that you install in your homes vary widely from boilers, central furnaces, heat pumps to electric baseboards. One of the most common types of these HVAC (Heating/Cooling) systems include central furnaces, popularly used in the United States and other countries across the world. A heat pump is mostly used in areas experiencing moderate climate, where winter/summer is not very extreme. In this blog, we have discussed about the best heat pump thermostats of 2020 that you can install in your home or workplace.
Best Heat Pump Thermostat for 2020
1. Ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with Built-In Alexa, Room Sensor Included
- SAVE MONEY: Homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs, plus ecobee pays for...
- ROOM SENSORS: Place them in the rooms that matter the most and have the temperature balanced...
Ecobee is one of the best Canadian companies manufacturing smart thermostats for most of the North American areas. Ecobee4 is the full-featured smart thermostat model supporting heat pumps.
- Built-in Amazon Alexa: Ecobee4 has a feature of built-in Amazon Alexa which allows voice control of the device. You alos get the opportunity to avail the full Alexa feature like search the web, read news and more.
- Wifi-Enabled: this model is one of the most popular WiFi heat pump thermostat, which you can easily connect to your home WiFi to control the device using your Pc or smartphone.
- Away Home Control: You can control the device through the Internet via your smartphone. It is also compatible with Samsung SmartThings, Google Assistant and Apple HomeKIt.
- Learning Ability: It understands and adapts your living habits and programs likewise using machine learning.
- Energy-saving: This Ecobee thermostat model offers maximum energy saving.
- Highly compatible
- Sleek, round-shaped design
- Maximum energy saving
- A bit expensive
2. Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat
- Compatible with: Amazon Alexa, SmartThings, Google Home, IFTTT
- Check to see If your new thermostat qualifies for a utility rebate; Auto-updates for daylight...
The next in the list is the Honeywell RTH9585WF, which is among the best WiFi heat pump thermostat with excellent features like touch screen, Wireless/WiFi control, away from home control through Internet, Built-in Amazon Alexa and more features similar to Ecobee.
- Big display and touch screen: this model highlights a bigger display than several other models mentioned in this list. Its touch screen consists of multiple colors, which you can match with your indoor setting.
- Very smart: It is a smart heat pump thermostat model having remote control features via mobile features, holiday scheduling, voice control, WiFi control, touchscreen, smart energy savings and more.
- Compatible with Aux or Emergency heating
- Back-up heat mode
- Supports 2 stages of heating
- Upgrade Honeywell model
- Conventional box-shaped design
- Not self-learning; needs manual learning
3. Honeywell RET97E5D1005/U Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat
- Remotely view and control the temperature of the home; Alerts - high/low temperature, loss of...
- Secure Network
Another Honeywell model, RET97E5D1005/U features a push-button interface and you can configure it to any environment.
- WiFi control: This model comes with WiFi access enabling users to operate it using an android or iOS device. It allows you to manage multiple thermostats.
- Smart response technology: The model boats smart response technology that understands pre-programmed timings, allowing it to pre-cool or pre-heat your home.
- Pre-programmed: The heat pump thermostat model is pre-programmed to run on minimum energy usage.
- Compatible: it is highly compatible with heating, cooling and heat pumps.
- Features pre-programmed scheduling
- Smart response technology
- Not compatible with heat pumps producing electric baseboard heat (120V to 240V)
4. Bosch BCC100 Connected Control Smart Phone Wi-Fi Thermostat (Alexa-Enabled)
- SAVE ENERGY AND MONEY: This Alexa-enabled, internet-connected programmable thermostat simply...
- MODERN SLEEK TOUCH SCREEN: The full color, 5-inch display touchscreen allows easy scheduling to...
Bosch Touchscreen Heat Pump Thermostat is a WiFi thermostat that enables users to schedule it beforehand in order to keep their home comfortable and cozy during chilly winters. Being enabled with WiFi, this thermostat model also allows remote access for time and temperature settings.
- Touch screen: It boasts a 5-inch touch screen color display.
- Built-in Amazon Alexa: You can control the device through voice, when at home. It allows you to set temperature and time through voice command.
- Compatible: The device/thermostat is compatible with heat pump (4 stages of heating and 2 stages of cooling), 1-wire internally powered dehumidifier or humidifier, Conventional systems (2 heat and 2 cool) and almost every 24 VAC HVAC systems.
- Pre-scheduling: You can schedule using your mobile app (BCC100) of almost 4 thermostats at maximum.
Highly compatible with different heating and cooling systems
- Lacks usage reports
5. Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat
- Total Connect Comfort app available, remotely monitor/manage your homes comfort and energy use
- Energy Savings mode, and 7 day easy programming
Another Honeywell model of heat pump thermostat is the Honeywell TH9320WF5003, aims to boost your energy savings. It is available with a week’s programmable memory that works best in reducing the total energy consumption. You can switch the colors of its personalized touch screen display matching to your interiors.
- Energy-saving feature: The device boasts an energy-saving feature which is better than various other thermostats for a heat pump.
- Alexa enabled: You can control the heat pump thermostat through Alexa voice recognition.
- 7-day programming: It is a simple and selectable feature, which states that you can also use the device as a nonprogrammable thermostat without inclining towards scheduling the programs every time you want to use it.
- WiFi enables: You can connect the heat pump thermostat to your home WiFi and access it remotely using your PC or mobile phone.
- 7-day programming feature
- Reduces energy consumption
- Needs professional help for installation
- Requires a Special C-Wire to connect with HVAC device
6. Emerson Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Touchscreen Color Display, Works with Alexa
- EDITORS CHOICE BEST OVERALL SMART THERMOSTAT by USA Today’s reviewed.com
- SAVE ABOUT 23% ON HVAC ENERGY*: By adjusting the temperature using flexible scheduling, remote...
Emersion Sensi Touch Thermostat is among the best smart thermostats as of 2017. It features an HD touch screen that shows the temperature and consists of various menus and back glow.
- Remote access: You easily access it by downloading the Sensi app on your smartphone.
- Alert feature: Emerson smart thermostat sends alerts of extreme temperature and humidity levels in your house.
- 7-day scheduling: This special feature allows you to reduce the energy consumption linked to HVAC.
- Geo-fencing feature: It has a geofencing feature that helps during location-based temperature control.
- Compatibility with cooling, heating and heat pump systems (4 heat, 2 cool, with/without aux heating).
- Easy-to-read backlit display
- Easy to install guide
- Some programs open only through a mobile app
7. Emerson UP310 Premium 7 Day Programmable Thermostat
- Extensive* compatibility - works with heating, cooling and heat pump systems
- 7-day programmable thermostat - set a different schedule for each day of the week
This model is a programmable heat pump thermostat supporting auxiliary heat. It gives you amazing temperature accuracy to about 1 degree that suggests you can adjust the temperature of your house even within 1 degree of the place you sit.
- 7-day programmable scheduling: Boasts the 7-day programmable schedule showing 4 periods of a day
- Easy to install wizard: it has an easy install wizard that helps during the various steps of installation.
- Compatibility: It has good compatibility with heating, heat pump and cooling systems. Heat pump systems of up to 4 stages of heating and 2 stages of cooling.
- Also compatible with electric, gas and oil systems, along with millivolt applications
- Easy and quick to install
- Lacks dual functionality
8. Honeywell RTH6450D1009/E1 RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat
- Large backlit display with soft-touch button interface
- Precise temperature control of plus-or-minus-degrees fahrenheit with auto change from heat to cool
Honeywell manufactures a wide variety of thermostats, of which this is a programmable heat pump thermostat that you can choose for your home. In case, you want a replacement for your old thermostat, this device is easy to install without any professional supervision.
- Easy set up: this Honeywell thermostat is very easy to install and offers personalized control for a cozy home
- Automation feature: based on the program set up, it can automatically switch from heat to cool and vice versa.
- Precise temperature: It offers a precise temperature of 1 degree
- Compatibility: Honeywell RTH6450D1009 is compatible with cooling and heating systems, along with stage heat pump systems
- Easy to set up
- Compatible with stage heat pump systems
- Doesn’t last long
9. Honeywell RTH2300B1012/E1 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat
- One program for weekdays, a separate program for weekends-4 periods per day
- Backlit digital display
The Honeywell RTH2300B1012 is considered one of the most popular thermostats of Honeywell. It comes with a feature of 5-2 day programmable thermostat wjicj states that you can schedule a program separately for weekdays and weekends.
- 5-2 program feature: It allows you to schedule programs for weekends and weekdays separately
- User-friendly: With its push-button display interface, it becomes super user-friendly
- Easy installation: Its unique interface makes it an easy-to-install heat pump thermostat
- Compatibility: The device is highly compatible with cooling, heating and heat pump systems (without aux heating)
- Easy to install
- Highly compatible
- Not compatible with multistage HVAC systems or electric baseboard heat.
10. Emerson 1F83H-21PR
It is another kind of heat pump thermostat from Emerson available with a dual fuel option. You do not need to install additional sensors to this device. It consists of a large backlit display that comes with a key lock option. So, no accidental resetting of the programmed schedule.
- 7-day programmable thermostat: Its duality of use allow you to use it as a 7-day programmable thermostat and a non-programmable thermostat.
- 5-1-1 programming compatibility: This feature suggests that you can set a 5-day weekday schedule and two individual schedules for the two days of weekends.
- Inbuilt advanced features: The heat pump thermostat comes with inbuilt advanced features like temperature limits, keypad lock and backlight button.
- Compatibility: it is compatible with Heat Pump (2H/1C), but not with other systems like electric baseboard
- 5-1-1 day programming schedule
- Inbuilt advanced features
- Not compatible with systems such as electric baseboard
11. Honeywell TH6220 FocusPro 6000 5-1-1 Programmable Heat Pump Thermostat
- Manufacturer: Honeywell
- Manufacturer part Number: TH6220D1002
Another Honeywell product on the list of heat pump thermostats is the Honeywell TH6220. It has got the largest backlit display of all the Honeywell thermostats.
- Adaptive intelligent recovery feature: It has got an adaptive intelligent recovery feature that ensures its programmed temperature is met within the programmed time.
- 5-2/5-1-1 day programming schedule: It allows two different sets of programming schedule that helps reducing energy consumption through HVAC systems.
- Compatibility: It is compatible with cooling and heating systems that also includes heat pumps without AUX heating source
- Electronic control: Its unique design offers electronic control of 24V AC conventional and 750 m V heating systems or heat pump systems
- 5-1-1/5-2 programming scheduling
- Adaptive intelligent recovery feature
- Not compatible with electric baseboard systems
12. Lux Products TX9600TS Programmable Large Touchscreen Heating Cooling Thermostat
- Universal compatibility for all system types. Large, lighted easy-to-read touchscreen display. It is...
- Biggest size display, Easy-to-use touchscreen menu operation.
Next on the list is the product manufactured by LUX – LUX TX9600TS. In case you are looking for a budget-friendly heat pump thermostat, it can be a wise choice for making your home comfortable. It also offers reduced energy usage by HVAC systems, the product comes with a large backlit display and a simple, white frame.
- Keypad lock feature: Its keypad lock feature helps prevent the thermostat against unauthorized users
- Selectable periods: You can select 2 or 4 periods in a day
- Different program schedules: You can set different programming schedules for weekends and weekdays
- Compatibility: It is compatible with cooling and heating systems, but not with 2-cooling stages systems and electric baseboard heat systems
- Has a keypad lock feature
- Allows different programming schedules
- Not compatible with electric baseboard heat systems
13. Google, T3007ES, Nest Learning Thermostat
- Auto-Schedule: No more confusing programming. It learns the temperatures you like and programs...
- Wi-Fi Thermostat: Connect the Nest Thermostat to Wi-Fi to change the temperature from your phone,...
Nest T3007ES Learning thermostat is the 3rd generation modern device designed for convenient use and enhanced energy efficiency. It keeps you happy and comfortable in all weather conditions. It is a well-manufactured product offering high-end features.
- Inbuilt Amazon Alexa: You can voice control it easily from any corner of your house.
- Easy-to-install: It takes only 30 minutes to install the device in your home.
- Saves energy bills: with its learning capacity, it can save you 10-15% of your cooling and heating bills
- Bright display face: It consists of a bright display face which features clock, temperature and weather conditions outside
- Inbuilt alert system: This feature allows you to know when the heat pump thermostat is malfunctioning
- Switch programming: You can switch from auto programming to manual programming easily.
- Compatibility: It is compatible with all kinds of HVAC equipment and even dehumidifiers
- Automation friendly: You can connect it with any smart device at your home
- Comes with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery
- Easy and quick installation
- High energy saving
- Can turn your HVAC system on or off automatically depending on the home occupants’ locations
- Stylish, sleek and available in four different colors
- Phone proximity sensors and motion sensors
- Automatic programming is not ideal when there are divergent comfort standards
- Smartphone dependent devices lead to confusion for some individuals
14. Honeywell RTH7600D Touchscreen 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
- 7-Day menu-driven programming with 4 periods per day
- Large backlit touchscreen display shows current room temperature and set point simultaneously
If you are searching for an optimum touch-screen programming, this heat pump thermostat is the right choice for you. You can program it for weeks at once and stay comfortable in your home. If you do not want manual programming of your HVAC system, Honeywell RTH7600D allows you to program it in advance for a week. It is compatible with furnaces, heat pumps, air conditioners, etc. Honeywell RTH7600D lawn mower doesn’t need special wiring to operate and is a budget-friendly product in comparison to its advanced technology and features.
- Compatibility: it is compatible with systems like air conditioners, heat pumps and furnaces
- Programmable settings: It comes with programmable settings that allow you to use it easily, tight from its screen
- Filter change reminder: It offers you a ‘filter change’ reminder to help you maintain the indoor air quality
- Backlit digital display: its backlit digital display makes it easy to read the screen in all conditions
- No special wiring required for connection and installation
- Comes with a smart response technology
- Includes clock feature and automatic changes for daylight saving time
- Can be switched from heating to cooling automatically
- Only 1 year warranty
- WiFi monitoring and programming not available
15. Honeywell RTH3100C1002/E1 Digital Heat/Cool Pump Thermostats
- NOTE: This item is non-programmable thermostat
- Easy to see read backlit display with soft-touch button interface
Honeywell RTH3100C1002/E1 is a heat pump thermostat with a no-frills approach and has an amazing hybrid that is a perfect blend of digital displays and measurements with the basic on/off mechanism. If you want to have a thermostat with the straight forward approach, you will love this Honeywell thermostat the most. It features no whistles and bells. It follows the traditional mechanism of thermostats which most people like
- Compatibility: The device is compatible with all kinds of heat pump systems
- Push button temperature: The push-button temperature features allows convenient and quicker changes
- Easy-to-install: The device is very easy and quick to install, without the need of professional supervision
- Backlist digital display: This feature allows easy reading and understanding of the features displayed on the screen
- Fan switch comes with ‘ON’ and ‘Auto’ features
- Compatible with all kinds of heating systems
- Budget-friendly as compared to other thermostats form the manufacturer
- No advanced programming features included in the thermostat
- No WiFi accessibility as some of the old-fashioned but smart thermostats
- Doesn’t offer any usage data, despite having the digital technology
- A precise buying guide of the best heat pump thermostats
Now that you have got the list of the best heat pump thermostats, choose one that suits your requirements best. However, there’s a need of understanding a few parameters about the product prior to your purchase.
Guide to buying the best heat pump thermostat
Here’s a precise guide on what to look for while buying a heat pump thermostat
The first thing to look for when purchasing a heat pump thermostat is its compatibility. See if it is compatible with various heat pump systems. There are several thermostat models that fail to support the HVAC systems with heat pump. So, make sure you read the specifications well before ordering the thermostat.
A heat pump requires different kind of wiring as compared to other HVAC systems such as a central furnace system. So, you must ensure that the thermostat you are planning to buy supports the wiring favorable for a heat pump. Check the specifications provided by the manufacturers or simply check the model number on Google to get the details on its specifications.
Heat pumps with auxiliary or emergency heating
In case you have a heat pump that supports emergency/aux heating, you should choose a model of thermostat that supports the same feature. Note that there are thermostats that support heat pump but fail to get favorable with auxiliary and emergency heating system. So, it gets mandatory to look for a thermostat supporting aux/emergency heat system.
About heat pumps supporting auxiliary and emergency heating option
A heta pump is considered as a kind of energy-efficient system that works perfectly in moderate climates. However, in cases of bad weather, your heat pump may take longer to heat your room as compared to normal climate situations. Consider chilly winters, when your heat pump fails to heat the room as fast as it used to on moderate or good climatic conditions. To handle such situations, some heat pumps are designed with auxiliary or emergency heating option. When you turn on the aux/emergency heating mode, your home (rooms) start heating quicker. But, this is not an energy-efficient option and increases your energy bills.
Smart heat pump thermostat or inexpensive programmable model – which is better?
If you have shortlisted some thermostats supporting heat pumps, it is time you look for other offered features and if they suit your requirements. There are two kinds of heat pump thermostats – smart heat pump thermostats and programmable thermostats.
Thermostats by manufacturers such as Nest, Honeywell and Ecobee are mostly smart heat pump thermostats with advanced features like auto-programming, WiFi control, self-learning, voice control, geofencing, and more. Everything is perfect with a smart heat pump thermostat, but it demands a good amount of investment against its beneficial features.
In case you have a low budget but still, you want a good heat pump thermostat, choose the budget-friendly normal programmable device that supports your heat pump. These are also efficient and serves your heating and cooling purpose right. They help to maintain efficiency and regulating temperature.
We hope you can now choose a heat pump thermostat wisely, without any confusion of its features, pros and cons. You know exactly what to look for, start shopping!